Disinfection using disinfectant cleaners with active ingredients including alcohol and quaternary ammonium has often been discussed. Another disinfection solution is to disinfect with steam and pressure. Cleaning with the power of steam is a proven method of disinfection. Dry saturated steam at high temperatures kills viruses, bacteria, germs and bedbugs! It is an environmentally friendly and practical way to clean all kinds of surfaces.
THE POWER OF STEAM
The power of steam is to dissolve and emulsify grease, mold, dirt by vaporizing and killing viruses, bacteria and germs.
WHAT ABOUT SARS-CoV-2?
Despite that the power of steam kills viruses, bacteria and germs, opinions vary and there may be a lack of evidence that it can kill SARS-CoV-2 virus. The list of approved disinfectants put out by The Environmental Protection Agency only includes chemicals.
Patty Olinger, the executive director of the Global Biorisk Advisory Council, a division of ISSA (a cleaning industry trade association), said that, based on current evidence, while steam can kill the virus, it needs a lengthier application time than some users may realize.
On the other hand, Heidi Wilcox, a microbiologist and commercial cleaning consultant, says that: “At this point during the pandemic I would not use steam at all.” She cites a lack of strong evidence.
Then again, industry representatives such as Wayne Delfino from Advanced Vapor Technologies of Everett, Washington, insist that dry steam vapor works. The company’s non-chemical, “Thermo Accelerated Nano Crystal Sanitation” technology, he wrote in an email, “has been tested and proven effective on harder-to-kill viruses and on a similar human coronavirus in seven seconds or less.”
SURFACES TO CLEAN
Steam cleaners can clean and disinfect all kinds of surfaces. With the right tools, they can concentrate the jets to properly clean specific surfaces and hard-to-reach areas. Here are some examples:
- Seals (e.g. ceramic)
- Mattresses and bedding
- Stainless steel
- Grids and hoods
- Steam machines are said to be environmentally friendly because they require no chemicals. Only water is needed to steam disinfect and clean thoroughly.
NEED STEAMER MACHINES?
Power Steamer Machine JS 1600C
The power of steam from JS1600C attacks grease, grime, hard water deposits and mold. It leaves surfaces clean and sanitized without the use of chemicals. Operator safety is assured by the 12V waterproof switches and controls, a pressure switch, a high-limit thermal shutoff and an LED display informing the operator when the water level is low. The Energy saving safety system also automatically shuts off the machine if it’s idle for 60 minutes.
- The tank can be filled while the unit is running, allowing for continuous use
- Excellent on grouted floors, showers, kitchens and any area where detail cleaning is a challenge
- Very effective in all food preparation and processing areas, including stainless steel range hoods in kitchens
- Ideal for hotel rooms – spot draperies, bedspreads and carpets, and even kill bed bugs and their eggs on mattresses
- Clean floors with the optional “steam mop” and 33′ hose
- The continuous flow system provides the necessary steam to remove dirt and built-up soil while leaving your floors and surfaces virtually dry
Ecological Vapor with Vacuum A2006
The Vapore A2006 acts as two machines in one unit. The vapor not only dissolves dirt and grime, but is scientifically certified to disinfect any surface, thoroughly eliminating bacteria and viruses in an ecological way without use of chemicals.
- With the water filtration system of the vacuum, Vapore A2006 collects dirt and traps it in the water without the risk of spreading dust
- Vapore A2006 also has a HEPA filtration system to ensure the cleanliness of the air is not compromised
- Equipped with a cold water reservoir, the Vapore A2006 has a continuous fill feature which allows you to refill the vapor system with water at any time, without stopping
- The machine comes with a variety of floor accessory and tools
There’s no proof that the power of steam can kill SARS-CoV-2, but the virus is known to be sensitive to the exposure of high-temperature. Could it be a question of exposure length or a question of chemicals? However, the power of steam can be useful for general disinfection.